"Our Daily Bread" airs every second Saturday at 5:30 a.m. & Noon on WKBW Ch. 7
Fr. Paul D. Seil cooks Lea Dicenso - AM Buffalo Producer
WKBW-TV Channel 7 – Nov. 12, 2011
Lea’s Italian Meat Lasagna
12 oz lasagna noodles, cooked and cooled
6 oz lean beef
6 oz lean veal
10 oz raw Italian prosciutto
4 tsp. butter
1 lb. whole canned tomatoes
1 tbsp. tomato paste
½ cup dry white wine
3 oz grated parmesan cheese
1 pkg. mozzarella or smoked cheese
6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ cup chopped parsley
salt & pepper
1. Chop separately the lean beef, veal, ham prosciutto, and cheese and divide it into small pieces.
2. In a saucepan with 3 tablespoons of oil add half the beef and half the veal and brown it on all sides. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, pour the white wine and let it evaporate over high heat.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water and cook on medium heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
4. Meanwhile, put 2 eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water to harden them for 7-8 minutes, cool under cold water, shell and slice.
5. In a bowl put the chopped lean beef and veal, add the remaining egg, 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley, salt and pepper and mix the ingredients until they are prefect amalgamated.
6. Form into meatballs the size of a hazelnut and brown, a few at a time in a frying pan with the remaining oil. Drain the meatballs and add them to the sauce and cook for 10-15 minutes.
7. In a saucepan, bring plenty of water to a boil, then add salt and cook the noodles few at a time. Drain al dente, a second dip in cold water, drain again and spread on a clean cloth.
8. Into a buttered pan arrange the first layer of lasagna, spread over uniformly, a layer of prepared meat sauce, sprinkle with pieces of cheese, a little sliced boiled eggs and a little grated parmesan cheese and chopped prosciutto.
9. Continue with the same procedure until exhaustion of ingredients ending the last layer with sauce.
10. Place the pan in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) and bake the lasagna for 20 minutes. Serve hot.